Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lunch-break Treasures

Lucy and I just returned from our daily walk at lunch. We have a circuit that's a bit shy of an hour that includes two hills, a walk near the forest and creek, and takes us to Mission Point, just south of Davis Bay. Most of the walk is in areas where Lucy can be off lead and fetch the ball I throw for her with the Chuck-It.
We finish up by walking the Davis Bay Boardwalk. Today we - well, me at least - were treated beyond our expectations as we watched a huge pod of dolphins head south in the straight. It was amazing! I have heard of others seeing this here before but hadn't ever seen it myself. The water was churning with their swimming and lifting out of the water. I wanted to shout to people in their cars to stop and see what was happening. I found this video online from 2009 that is very similar to what I saw today.


It was taken in April of 2009 in Roberts Creek, which is about 5 miles from Davis Bay. Perhaps this is the time of year one might see them here. Other info I was able to glean online suggested it isn't normal for them to be in this area. I don't know if it's 'normal' but it was a treasure on a lunch-break that brought a smile and tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment