Sunday, February 13, 2011

Beach Bums

On a whim, I stopped with Lucy at a different beach than I had planned today - one I haven't seen yet over the 17 years I've been trekking to the Oregon Coast. The state park, which is also a campground and would be fabulous in camping weather, has a multitude of trails that wander through the grassy dunes that are between Hwy 101 and the ever-changing Pacific Ocean. Lucy and I walked for about a half mile before cresting above the ocean and a view that never fails to inspire me. Crashing waves rolling in, like lines of rushing white stallions with manes whipping in the wind, racing for the firmer sands, followed always by yet another stampede.
The mist dampened my face and hair as we walked, me throwing the ball for Lucy and watching for ocean treasures. When we first hit the beach there were about a dozen other people that I could see on a stretch that must have been at least two miles in length. Within an hour we and two others far down the beach were the only ones left. By that time the mist had strengthened to a drizzle, and by the time we returned to the car, it was simply raining, and we were both soaked. It was great! Easy to say when you know you're getting into a car with a good heater.

Driving home from the beach, with the heater on and warming us, the radio cranked to R&R from the 70's, the wide expanse of Oregon Coast to my right, I smiled. Not a bad picture as I wind into the last quarter of my 53rd year. Truly, the only piece missing was Rita. She would have loved the beach, the rains, the dog play, the tunes. . . it was a most perfect Sunday afternoon. And she was with me, as she always is.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, my friend, so good to hear of your adventures on the Oregon coast. It is a beautiful part of the world and earlier today we were looking at our honeymoon pics of the coast. Sighing wistfully and wishing to be able to visit again.

    I also saw again a picture of Rita and Geordie, on our wedding day, sitting with broad smiles, sitting on a large rock in George Wainborn Park with the sun shining on them both. Again wistful and wishing and wondering.

    I've always found being by lakes, rivers or oceans very releasing, calming and at times awing (not sure that's a word, oh well). A good time for rumination.

    Enjoy your time.

    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen,
    You are such a wonderful writer! So detailed you paint a clean distinct picture of the Goat Woman! How do you remember all those details??? We miss you, love you and will follow you blog with warm curiosity. It's an interesting journey you are on, difficult I'm sure but quite enlightening. Thank you for sharing your journey by this blog.

    Hugs and love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete