Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tumblings

An excerpt from my morning pages today:

Let go of the leaving and embrace the receiving.

I think I’ve always read/heard Psalm 23 as being written for the person dying. Today I hear it as being written for those left behind. Hmmm…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9fzWq-d8jU

Time to remember and hold the gift given instead of staring at torn, crumpled wrapping paper on the floor, united ribbon, and a squashed bow. It is easy to become so dismayed, so heartbroken over the wrappings lying on the floor that I forget to remember the gift given, and received.
****************

The sun is shining today, casting brightness over the lawns and waters. Most definately a day to wander the beach with Lucy when the tide's a bit lower. On Thursday Lucy and I spent 2 to 3 hours at the beach. We returned to the South Jetty Beach of Newport, where we had been on Sunday. It was a postcard-perfect day with deep blue skies, warm sunshine, and waves cresting white. As I sat watching the waves curl, and reaching toward the shoreline, seemingly so gentle and fluid in their rolling over back into the ocean, I saw sprays of white mist sparkle above. It reminded me of the snow tails you see behind a skier traversing the hill. Water droplets in both scenes, catching the light and wind of action.
There is a brief moment, a split second, when the wave curls, reaching to its height before folding over, that the light on a sunny day exposes the aqua marine colour that is like green glass. A bit like the the veil between 'here and there' that would dissolve in our hands if we could even begin to touch it. I never tire of watching for that colour, that thin place, as the ocean waves give and receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment