Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Choices

My thoughts are truly random this morning as I continue to think about choices and an email conversation about Deuteronomy 30: 15-20 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+30%3A15-20&version=NIV). Life is about choices on every level, and then the results, or consequences of my choices. I think we tend to see/hear consequence as a negative word; it is not. It is the result of an action.
I ponder again the words of Viktor Frankl. "Frankl concludes that the meaning of life is found in every moment of living; life never ceases to have meaning, even in suffering and death.  . . .  Frankl concludes from his experience that a prisoner's psychological reactions are not solely the result of the conditions of his life, but also from the freedom of choice he always has even in severe suffering. The inner hold a prisoner has on his spiritual self relies on having a faith in the future . . ." (Wikipedia)

Suffice to say I have reflected a lot on the meaning of life these past few years, and continue to do so, even as I consider the myriad choices and possibilities available to me.

Some days feel (too) ordinary to me, and then I remember a woman interviewed on TV about Schindler's List. She was a holocaust survivor and she said that all she reached for/dreamed of during her days and night in the camps was an ordinary evening at home. How easily we tire of the ordinary days, and how many around us dream of them. It brings Sarah to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urv7tyeJ7qE

I consider prayers and hands folded - not that I think you have to have your hands folded to pray - and wonder if clapping is a series of tiny prayers . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment