Friday, February 25, 2011

It's all in the dance

You dance across the back porch
feet quick to avoid the
broken place
barely a swoosh heard
from the soles of your
dance shoes,
arms flung to the air
in worship of the summer day
soaking the afternoon
with yellowness.
Hair flies as the twirl
brings you close to the edge
caught in time and danced
back to the centre.
Laughter rings
peeling the bell of release
of love.
Face flushed,
eyes bright with mystery
you finally sit beside me
on the built-for-two swing,
breath coming quickly
as you turn to me,
forehead damp
and creaseless,
“It’s all in the dance,”
you whisper in my ear,
as if I should understand
so quickly what you have known
for eternity
for all time.
Reaching under the swing
you lift a box
to me,
no wrap, no ribbon,
“for you,
yellow dancing shoes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment